Sacrament of Baptism
For children 6 years old and younger
The best gift that parents can give their children is a life in the Church! Through the Sacrament of Baptism, we are freed from Original Sin and are welcomed into the community of the Church which gives us access to the fullness of the means of salvation. Parents, godparents, and the parish community commit themselves to the ongoing faith formation of the children.
Baptism classes help prepare parents and godparents for their roles in the faith formation of their children. Classes are usually held on the third Monday of each month - please contact the Faith Formation department to register in advance. One class is required.
The Sacrament of Baptism is usually celebrated at 10:00 a.m. on the first Saturday of the month. Since space is limited at each baptism, families are encouraged to plan in advance when family or friends may be traveling from out of the area.
Godparent requirements and role:
- Be at least 16 years of age
- Be a fully initiated Catholic (Baptized, Confirmed and receiving Holy Eucharist)
- Not be bound by any canonical penalty legitimately imposed or declared
- Not be the father or mother of the one to be baptized
- A baptized person who belongs to a non-Catholic ecclesial community may be a sponsor only in company with a Catholic sponsor, and them simply as a witness to the baptism.
- Only one male and one female.
Godparents assist the parents in raising the child in the Catholic faith by being an example in living the faith and by supporting and encouraging the child to live out their faith in all aspects of life. Godparents must provide a pastor signed and sealed letter from the parish at which they are registered stating they are a practicing Catholic in good standing and able to faithfully fulfill the role of godparent.
For children over the age of 6 years and for Adult Baptism
Please contact the Faith Formation Department.